Wednesday, February 15, 2012

White Week

Yay for our very first week!!!
Here's our White week in a picture:

MONDAY
To kick off 'White Week' we read one of my favorites,
Little Cloud by Eric Carle
Then we proceeded to make clouds by separating cotton balls and gluing them to blue paper


TUESDAY
we brushed teeth WHITE
I cutout a face shape with a wide hold for a mouth, to which I added pink lips, yellow 'teeth', and large white eyes {it was kind of crazy looking}
Levi picked and added yellow yarn for hair, and using a marker, blue eyes {slightly less crazy}

Then I handed him white paint and a tooth brush, and without instructions he went right to work!
I LOVE IT!
***WARNING: child may attempt to 'brush' their teeth with the paint***
{this is where the crazy looking-ness of the project came in handy 'You don't want to be crazy looking like that guy do you?' we went to the bathroom where Levi used his own tooth brush and actual toothpaste}

WEDNESDAY
Because Levi is still young we like to take time away from 'table work' to wiggle and move.
This day I put a white coffee filter at one end of a folded white blanket and a white paper plate at the other. I dropped a handful of white cotton balls into the coffee filter, handed Levi a white spoon (from our rice cooker), and watched him go to work:


He had fun running back and forth, and even cheated a few times by putting more than one cotton ball on the spoon!
And little Owen joined in as best his little skills could manage!
To reinforce the color of the week (white) I asked color questions: what color is your spoon? is that the same or different than the cotton balls? so the cotton balls are white too?

THURSDAY
Mary had a little lamb... and now, so does Levi

I traced his hand on light brown/cream paper
put glue on it (I would let Levi squeeze the glue, great fine-motor, but I bought 'Elemer's Glue All' and it's tough for even me to squeeze out, so I don't recommend 'Glue-All' for children), let him cover it with white cotton balls, leaving the tips of the fingers sticking out for legs and a head, and adding a black dot for an eye
(you can also add a cute bow to the top of the head! but in a house of boys there are no bows)

Then watched a cute little youtube video and sang 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' over and over and over; you've got to love diligent repetition in children

And for lazy Friday {which was my birthday} we played with WHITE playdough.

I was sad not to be able to do as many hands on activities as I originally wanted; but I forgot to plan ahead on the last shopping trip I tagged along on. Having no car is cramping my style! :-)
I really wanted to do cloud dough which is a mix of 8 cups flour to 1 cup baby oil
and Clouds of Ivory Soap- you put a bar of Ivory soap (from what I read it works with Ivory because it has air pocket in it) in the microwave one minute at a time. It turns from a bar to a puffy cloud.
And now that the week is over I have a million more ideas for white!

0 comments:

Post a Comment