Thursday, February 16, 2012

Red Week

Our RED week

MONDAY
For the introduction for 'Red Week' I used masking tape to 'write' RED on a piece of construction paper.
Levi proceeded to color the paper, over the tape, with a red marker (oh and I let him cut off the paper in half, as we only used half a sheet and he loves scissors).
When he was done, I pulled the tape off revealing the letters R-E-D

TUESDAY
Levi has a fondness of Elmo, even though his only experience with the animated Elmo is brushing his teeth on sesamestreet.org (did I mention I have this belief, if we pretend like he's a dentist he will get into Dental School- visualization is a powerful tool people!), so we grabbed a paper plate, red and black paint, two cotton balls, an orange fuzzy ball, and black construction paper.
(please excuse the naked child, I have yet to sew his art smock together)

WEDNESDAY
We discovered a new art medium today: M&Ms
I gave Levi a flat dish full of M&Ms. He picked through and found all the red ones.

I added water to (just enough to barely cover the top of the pile). After a little mixing, and time, the red coating dissolved away and he began painting! I didn't even remove the chocolate pieces until they were getting in the way of Levi getting 'paint'- just use cold water, and in a low temperature room and the chocolate wont melt and disrupt the color

Before beginning I used masking tape to create an octagon on a large piece of paper...

...which, after drying, we cut out and used as a stop sign in a Stop and Go race with some friends! {Taylor and Olivia- the children I watch}

THURSDAY
I think this is so cute! (if you are allowed to use that term with boys)
Levi tore a tan piece of brown construction paper in two, and picked which half he wanted to glue to a blue piece of construction paper- creating the beach and ocean.

After gluing we carefully painted Levi's hands with red paint
{usually I lock youngsters naked in a high chair with a wash rag nearby, before attempting any paint but Levi is getting older and not even in a high chair any more, so we've started a new 'free' painting adventure!}
then pressed them onto a paper
{I found it easier to turn the paper than have him twist his little hands just right}

After it dried {with the help of a hair dryer} Levi glued on wiggly eyes and drew a mouth. And last I handed him some stickers and let him have some fun!

Friday
Brothers playing with RED Playdough

Why do we play with playdough?
I have read multiple times about the benefits of playdough
ie playdough (homemade or store bought) is a great manipulative for gross and fine motor (strengthens little fingers, hands, and wrists), as well as hand eye coordination.
It also opens the imagination to any sort of playing and above all, it's just fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment