Tuesday, February 14, 2012

eLeMeN-O Playschool

I tried to make as short as possible but the 'Reader's Digest' version is: eLeMeN-O Playschool is a silly name we assigned to the various activities I am doing with Levi to help build a foundational knowledge. The plan is to spend a week on one 'subject' in each of the following categories (in this order): color, shapes, numbers, letters. I will be posting a 'week in review' with all the things we have done, all linked together under 'eLeMeN-O Playschool' in the 'Labels' cloud on the sidebar.

For those of you interested in the monotonous details, continue...

How the name eLeMeN-O Playschool came about is a long story (too long to share here) involving my humorous husband! And it really is just for fun. But the real reason you haven't seen a lot of us here {and why all the grandparents' valentine's were late} is because Levi and I have started an adventure.

I have been reading a lot about child education and came across The Core Knowledge Sequence. Something I really like about their curriculum is exposing children to things (for example in the preschool years certain words) that they are not required to know, but gives them a foundation for future learning. IE in preschool you use the word 'incline' and in later school years when the word reappears in math they have a base to go off of. Granted it's an ideal statement to say a word you use stays with a child for years; but I like the idea of having a firm foundation to build on {the wise-man built his house upon a rock...}.

So this year- starting the week we were back from the holidays- Levi and I began doing various color activities. I started with white, went through the primary colors (red, yellow, blue), and ended with black. This has given us the base to move on to mixing colors- ie white and red make pink. And, as above mentioned, we will continue on through shapes, numbers, and letters.
My goal is not to drill or brainwash anything into his head (Einstein Never Used Flash Cards). I hope to have a little structure to our mornings while we do fun 'projects', as Levi now calls them. The purpose is FUN hands-on exposure through play- hint the PLAY word in Playschool.

This has been a HUGE learning experience for me and we're just on our 6th week. I can't wait to see where it takes us!

1 comment: