Monday, August 8, 2011

Independence day

I plopped myself down next to him and joked about how they were discriminating.
He laughed and we decided we were going to come up with a game that they couldn't play and we would have way more fun. Very grade-school like.

It took breaking my leg to get to know someone I call Uncle.
It took breaking my leg to realize people like to talk about things, that, even years later, the pain of something can still sting with tears.
It took breaking my leg to see past myself, to see from the view of another.

One day my life will be normal again. I will always feel my toes. Although he moves forward strong, he will not.

Ironic I truly learned about him on Independence Day- a celebration day of freedom, while he sits bound by his limitations.

I pray for the day he will walk again, feel his toes, and play basketball. While my day to do such will come a lot sooner, his WILL come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment