Sunday, November 17, 2013

Immunizations... yep I said it.

When we were newly married I don't remember worrying about GMOs, range-free, gluten-free, omegas, organic, etc as much as new ways to cook ramen. Then Devin graduated and we moved to WA, and I was overwhelmed with a new vocabulary, and drowning in trying to define the word 'healthy'.
To say the least we are now eating more than ramen ;-) and I finally stopped putting off reading a certain book:

The Vaccine Book... dun dun dun! :-)
you can read about it here

I picked this book because immunizations are a discussion in my extended family. They have been discussed many times over the years, and I figured with another new one coming I better make a real decision sooner than later.
Over the years I have read articles, talked to people, watched news clips, and watched both these documentaries:
Vaccine Wars http://www.vaccinewar.com/
The Greater Good http://www.greatergoodmovie.org/

and left with a little more understanding and a LOT more confusion.
The Vaccine Book is informative, and I am grateful for the better understanding I am gaining. However, I was still unsure of what I wanted to do with this knowledge.

insert GENERAL CONFERENCE
Elder Holland said,
'seek the advice of reputable people with certified training, professional skills, and good values'
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng
and it hit me hard.
I figured what better time for me to ask my questions to a 'reputable person with certified training, professional skills, and good values' than right now where I have one I ADORE and who shares the same beliefs as me!

insert DR JONES -love him
We had a GREAT, in-depth conversation {I wish Devin would have been there, he would have loved it... and understood more of it!} and I left confident with my decision.

And then I a friend of mine posted a link on Facebook; back in 1978 the First Presidency said this:
'Reports that increasing numbers of children are not being immunized against preventable childhood diseases deeply concern us.... We urge members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to protect their own children through immunization....' 
http://www.lds.org/liahona/1978/07/immunize-children-leaders-urge?lang=eng

and in 1985 a reminder of that statement was sent out again.
http://www.lds.org/ensign/1985/07/random-sampler/immunizations-a-reminder?lang=eng&query=immunizations
More recently in Church News it was announced that immunizations are now part of the Humanitarian Aid Initiative, along with food and water.
http://www.lds.org/church/news/church-makes-immunizations-an-official-initiative-provides-social-mobilization

I do believe immunizations are a personal choice, as this life is about agency, but one not to be taken lightly; and I have made my choice. And it's a choice I feel I can knowledgeably standby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment