Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Zucchini Soup

Every year I have to laugh at how often we are offered zucchini in LRG quantities. It seems everyone grows zucchini and it grows like a weed!
In our home we'll eat it fried and in the form of an occasional muffin or bread slice, but it really isn't something we go seeking after... that is until now.

insert amazing recipe {from here}:


Zucchini Soup

1 cup chopped onions
2 Tbs butter3 cups sliced zucchini2 cups chicken broth1/4 tsp salt1/8 tsp pepper1/2 cup half -and-half cream (or milk for a lighter version)1 cup grated cheddar cheese1/2 cup sour cream4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, then crumbled In a large saucepan cook onions in melted butter until tender. Add sliced zucchini and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender (about 15 min.) Add salt and pepper. 
Cool slightly, then pour mixture into blender and puree it. Stir in half-and-half cream. Return to saucepan and reheat, but do not boil. Garnish with grated cheese, sour cream and bacon. 

{It says that it makes about 6servings BUT I doubled it and we had to scrape the pot for 5adults and 2children}
Now I am wishing I could dig through my mother's freezer and use up all that shredded zucchini- uumm ummm good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment