Thursday, January 12, 2012

My day

Half way through our errand-run list a horrendously loud beeping sent my mind in survival mode and my eyes dropped to the dash where a little red oil light was flashing at me.
I pulled into the nearest parking lot and called Devin out of class as I'm helpless without him.
We discussed and decided.
All I had to do was grab the oil, conveniently left in our trunk, pop the hood, twist a cap, and dump.
EASIER SAID THEN DONE!
Oil- check
Pop the hood- popping the hood on this car is like using a credit card to break into a Royal Crest apartment. Slip, jiggle gently, push hard, and pop. Easy to those who have done it, confusing to the uncoordinated- ie ME.
but, I DID IT!
but then the extra lever thing under the hood- who invented that? seriously it had to be a man because I can never get them
but, I DID!
then to dump the oil without getting it all over my white shirt. Because of course I wore a white shirt on the day this would happen.

And the whole time I was thinking, 'why, in the world, hasn't a man, with grease already under his fingernails come to my rescue?' I look around for the said man and realize I'm parked between a floral shop and a violin school... that's why.

BUT I DID IT!!! I may have come home with grease under my fingernails and smeared on my check, but I did it!
I was so proud I thought, 'I should call my Dad, he would be proud'
then realized, oh no, no he wouldn't
he would have been proud of the daughter that checked her oil regularly, that had practiced popping the hood, and working that man-invented lever before it was freezing outside and her children sat screaming in the car.

Hey at least now I have 'practice'.

1 comment: