Wednesday, July 6, 2011

If I Die

I hit a guardrail at about 60mph, with two children in the car. Sleeping was hard the first few weeks. I have never been in an accident, none the less been the driver. The replay button seemed to be mashed down, and I played the 'what if...' game. And it always came down to the ultimate, 'What if I had died?' It's quite possible, did you see the driver's door... or at least where it should have been?

I didn't die, but I have thought about what I would want people to know if I had died. I've narrowed it down to two scriptures:

#1: Alma 28:12- While many thousands of others truly mourn for the loss of their kindred, yet they rejoice and exult in the hope, and even know, according to the promises of the Lord, that they are raised to dwell at the right hand of God, in a state of never-ending happiness.

If I were to die I wouldn't want anyone to be sad; however I have lost some dear to me and I know what it feels like. So, I ask you to remember that this is not the end. This life is just a small portion of the eternal plan. 'Mourn' as needed but not too much, and only if you remember to REJOICE that I am with my Father in Heaven. I am not saying I am perfect and will be sitting at the right hand of God when I die. I am far from perfect and will be making corrections before I get to sit there, in this life and the life to come. I hope to get there someday, as we all do. I just ask that although mourning is important, that you remember to rejoice for death is not the end.

#2: Matthew 16:21-23 {or Mark 8:31-33, which ever account yo prefer}- From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou are an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Peter loved Christ and did not want him to die {even if he was to be raised in three days}. Yet Christ rebuked him for he 'savourest not the things [of] God, but those that be of men'.
My Heavenly Father has a plan for me greater than I can comprehend. He knows me, loves me, and is aware of everything in my life. HE ultimately knows when it is time for me to return to my heavenly home; not me, or anyone. And that time will come when my purpose here is fulfilled; just as Christ fulfilled His purpose in dying and raising three days later. If I were to die I would want everyone to 'savor' the things of God, the fact that I finished what I was supposed to here in this life and that I would live again. Do not focus on the things of men, that I am gone from this life. Focus on the fact that I am with my Father in Heaven awaiting the day you join us. AGAIN, remember, death is not the end.

I know, without a doubt, this is not the end. I wish I could express it so well that everyone could feel the same. This life is a gift. A gift to experience things we couldn't before. A gift to grow and learn in ways previously not possible. A gift given for a length of time, unknown to us but known to our Heavenly Father. He knows us better than anyone. He knows when we have received the experiences we need. He knows when our efforts are needed on the other side. He knows, and awaits the day He can hold us in His arms again. He loves each of us.

I am not dead, nor do I plan to die anytime soon. But when I do die I hope to look down on those of you still fulfilling your purposes on earth and see you full of faith, not pain and sorrow, BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE END.

2 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful nin. Makes me wonder what I would want people to know if I died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. matt and lanaeJuly 08, 2011

    You have a way with words. I love reading your blog and pondering. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are so glad you are alive and healing!

    ReplyDelete