Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Crash: Day One

We spent the weekend visiting family in Utah.
Monday after dinner we packed up and hit the road for home.
The weather was warm and sunny. I was wearing my favorite jeans, black t-shirt, and old navy flip-flops. The boys snoozed in the back.
I watched the horizon as a lightening storm brewed ahead.
Idaho is so flat that storms like these amaze me, as you can see the strikes.

Driving in the rain I felt at home; although, now, still an hour away.

As I reached the familiar scene of ISU I realized something was wrong, really wrong.
Things went into slow motion.
I was hydroplaning like I had NEVER had before.
Drivers training ran through my head: no brakes, hold steady, nothing drastic, small smooth movements.....
Cruise control was on and I knew I had to get it off, I gently pressed the brake minimally, it went off and so did we.

Originally facing north on I-15 in the right hand lane, we were now facing south in the left hand lane. The guard rail flashed in the corner of my eye as lightening lit our surroundings.
I knew we were going to hit it. I knew there was nothing I could do. And an overwhelming feeling of peace and the thought 'whatever is going to happen is meant to happen' overcame me.

{I have always told myself I'd do two things in an accident #1: I would do EVERYTHING possible to hit on my side and not the boys' side (Levi sits on the passenger side, and Owen in the middle) #2: I would relax because it is always the drunks that survive}

I grabbed the wheel and turned with the spinning car hoping it would turn me, not the boys, into the guard rail; luckily it did. Facing North again I let the steering wheel spin back, gently placed my hands at 10 and 2, closed my eyes, and focused on breathing.

Metal on metal at roughly 60 mph is the worst sound I have ever heard.
I opened my eyes thinking it was over.... things were floating.... NO NO NO!!!!! I closed my eyes again.
We flipped over the guard rail and landed on the roof of our car in the grassy median.
Levi was screaming, Owen was silent.

I took a deep breath and unbuckled myself knowing I had to get to my boys. I fell to the ceiling and instantly knew both bones in my left leg were broken {I held my mom's on the way to the hospital- I knew it was similar}. Hopelessly I looked down, there was my phone.

911: Where are you? 'by ISU' alright but where? 'I-5.... no I-15! I have two little boys and I broke my leg' Alright stop yelling, the paramedics are on there way {I'm not yelling, am I} ......

The truck behind me pulled over. Man #1 crawled in to me 'I'm on the phone with 911, I broke my leg, are my boys okay?'
Man #2; I've got one out he's fine and the baby is kicking his legs... okay he's out and looks fine... I've got them in my truck out of the rain
to Man #1 'I have a question, are you are Mormon?' No

Paramedic #1 crawls in, names, broken leg, how much do you like your pants, cut it! 'I have a question, are you are mormon?' He looked me in the eyes and answered yes. Fighting back tears, 'can I have a blessing?'
Paramedic #2 'We're breaking the back window, ready, clear!'
Paramedic #1 Yes, lets get you in the ambulance first.

I was loaded on the board and spider wrapped {as a freshman in college I did a paramedic scenario and was rather used to this which was comforting- thank you Katie!}, neck braced and slid out the back window, all while clutching my cell phone to my chest.

I was loaded into the ambulance. Levi was sitting at my head to the left, Owen was screaming in the arms of a paramedic. Ignoring the questions I reached up for Levi's hand, 'What are we riding in Levi?' a fire truck 'close but it's an ambulance, it makes the same sound as an ambulance, what sound is that....'

The ride was short, as we were just off the hospital exit. I called Devin. 'I love you. We were in an accident. I broke my leg, and possibly my shoulder. We are going to the Pocatello hospital. You need to find a ride. Come find us.'

I was wheeled into the ER. My phone pried from my hands. Paramedic #1- I am turning your blessing over to nurse#1 and #2 {the most important people in my life at that time, you think I would remember at least some of their names!!!}. My clothes were cut off- I stopped them at my bra. 'can we save that- it's a nursing bra!' sure Girl Nurse #1- let me get it I'm faster than a 15 year old boy!
Blankets, cords, machines, x-rays.... still no drugs.... good thing labor has taught me to breath!
Owen was given formula, a binkie that paramedic #2 always carries on him as personal policy, and was rocked to sleep. Levi was given crackers and milk and brought in and out to see 'mommy'.
A blessing was given bringing tears to my eyes and the man giving it.
An accident report was filed, and MY FIRST TICKET!!!!! for failure to maintain my lane, seriously I'm not even on drugs yet!!!!!
My phone was returned as it wouldn't stop ringing. I called my mom. Then laid in silence waiting.
Nurse #1 and #2 began talking about how 'she' had amnesia.... I lifted my head, eyes wide, and said 'NOT ME right?!?! I know who I am right?' they laughed, the girl next door. Drugs were given.

Bed number two was wheeled in; Owen asleep at the foot, Levi, blanket in hand {THANK YOU to the person who grabbed it!}, sitting at the head. My neck brace was removed. Levi and I told a story and sang songs. Devin walked in. He held Levi, rocked Owen, and ran his fingers through my hair (removing pieces of glass and plastic).

Kayla, dearest Kayla, showed up. I made a phone call to an old roommate, who lived nearby but hadn't talked to in months. Although midnight she answered and opened her home {THANK YOU STACIE!!!!}.
Kayla took Levi to Stacie's and Devin, Owen, and I were taken to a room for the night.

3 comments:

  1. Matt and LanaeJune 19, 2011

    We are thinking about you always and the girls pray for you with every prayer. Glad you are going to be okay and a miracle that the boys are safe. It touches me the way you are looking at your whole situation. If only we could all look at our trials that way. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you long distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying reading this post Linds. You and your family are in our prayers too. I am so grateful that everyone is okay, and that you have so much optimism. Definitely one of your spiritual gifts. Love you Lindsay. Thank you for being such a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m crying like Kim and so touched by your amazing faith. I think I really needed to read this post today. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete