Pushing a chair to the sink 'you're helping', adding mop the floor to my list.
You go 'swimming' in the tub and give us both a bath.
Screaming, punching, kicking, running.... making me want to do the same!
And then...
Earnestly 'cleaning up' books, stacking them until they fall, almost in tears 'Mommy, help'
Wrapping tiny arms around my neck, 'squeeze' so tight neither of us can breathe.
Spontaneously grabbing my face, 'I love you'
Slimy kiss covered face
'Thank you, Mommy'
Uncontrollable tickle fit laughs
'Mommy, snuggle'
He may bring me his poop, scream in my face, pull my hair, and run away when I'm already late but my heart melts in the innocence of it all.
Devin and I went on a date last night. He spent extra hours on campus. I sent Levi away half an hour early. He knocked on our front door. We ate at our kitchen table, off dishes of our own, a meal prepared by me. Chicken and potatoes, candles and Pandora. Nothing fancy, nothing extravagant, nothing but time for us.
An hour and a half later we brought Levi home and put him to bed. Ice cream was shared on the living room floor while watching a movie on our 14in flat screen (computer). Laughter was shared about times past, just like these, before the little one. Relaxed, quiet, and comfortable. No running, screaming, timeouts, interrupted naps or unwanted early mornings.
Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back EVERYTHING is different?!
Sometimes being a mom means dealing with poopy diapers, hands, feet, and floors. Sometimes means more time scrubbing the floor, walls, and table then polishing nails, makeup, and hair. Sometimes means more late nights, early hours, and no sleep. But sometimes it means extra 'I love yous', hugs, kisses, being called 'mommy', and sweet smiles. Sometimes means fits of laughter, pure innocent looks, and snuggle moments. It's not always easy, it's definitely not always clean but it's my life, the life I LOVE.
0 comments:
Post a Comment