I handed over 'my' garage door opener late Saturday night. Thoughts of it being some right of passage dwindled as it was tossed onto the dirty counter; I should have known. For the past four years I have been with these girls. I've watched each grow from infancy, and now the oldest is eight. EIGHT!!! How the years have sped by.
Devin said something about how I was going to cry when this was all over. In times past I have- every time- even when they are gone for the week, the summer... I miss them. However this time is different- it's TIME.
I wanted to be done months ago- I never actually wanted to start this year. But something told me otherwise. Something bigger than me.
As it all comes to a close I am unsure why. Why did I need to keep working? What did either party benefit? Did I do it right? I am sure I could have done better. Most days I went begrudgingly, counting down the hours. Maybe one day I will know.
Goodbye for now Deveraux girls. I wish I could have done more for you. I wish you the best and hope you continue to grow in the light. Life hasn't been easy for you, and there is not too much hope of an easier road ahead. Make your choices for you- not your parents. And stay as sweet and innocent as you were in these days:
with love, Aunt Lindsay




0 comments:
Post a Comment