Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Great Aunt Evelyn

Devin's great aunt Evelyn passed away recently... I never knew her very well. She was deaf, due to spinal meningitis at age 9, and Devin always encouraged me to sign to her. My fears always held me back; thinking that if my sisters or mother saw me I'd be an embarrassment! And she was a stubborn lady- that I could tell about her. Never wanted any special attention, never wanted to be thought of as incapable. She pushed on, head strong. With much regret I missed her funeral due to a head cold that has been kicking me in the pants for the past few days. A while ago I wrote this (more about my mistakes, and insecurities then) about her:

Forget-me-not.
I haven't been one to take advantage of the moments past.
Nervous, lack of confidence, and overall insecurity.
Your days are numbered; everyone's are, yours are just less.
I sit by your side. Dig through my memory. Mess up, yet try to recall the forgotten.
A nap is taken to ease your pain. Pain I wish I could take away.
You aren't away very long yet upon return your memory is once more gone.
My name. My husband. Where I live. Over again. Three times before I must go.
Why I ask myself. Why three times did I try with no result.
Hope. For the hope that my actions today will replace my actions of the past.
You may not remember me tomorrow, or even an hour from this moment.
But dearest Great Aunt Evelyn forget-me-not.
Forget my past mistakes but not the me I am trying to be.

I would like to end with something I recently heard:
We part now, to meet again

0 comments:

Post a Comment