Spot came to our family shortly after Owen was born, as a gift to him, and the two have been inseparable ever since.
Yearly birthday pictures include him.
Owen's nursery leaders had to ask me if Spot was a real dog or not because of the elaborate stories Owen told about him.
Spot was a stowaway one memorable trick or treating night, in Owen's plastic pumpkin.
He has his own birthday, and we held a birthday party just for him one year.
We all have tons of memories of Spot and Owen tells extensive stories about him and with him.
He is loved by the whole family.
This Summer, as I began packing up for our Summer Washington trip I asked Owen to bring me Spot (he's been on EVERY trip), sadly Spot could not be found. In a slight panic I searched the house for the few days we had before we left; he still was not found. I asked friends, thought about all the places we had recently been. Posted on FB (joked about putting a chip in his neck), and asked at all the lost and founds I could think. Nothing, No where. We left for Washington - our first trip without him.
While there a kind soul sent Owen a placeholder, who Owen quickly named, Spot Jr.
When we returned home, I continued my search. Every time I happened upon a picture of Owen and Spot, or Owen told one of him famous Spot stories my heart ached.
After deciding Spot was really gone, I found a replacement Spot. The plan was to wait until Christmas but Owen was having an exceptionally rough day (very uncommon for my happy, go-lucky little guy) so we surprised him with new Spot.
I wish I would have recorded the moment. Owen pulled back the packaging and with just seeing the ear, shouted, 'Spot!' and his little hands ripped the dog from the wrapping, and he said, 'wait, where are his beans?'
It was wonderful seeing Owen and Spot reunited - even if it was new Spot - and it made my heart happy to see that little dog left on the floor; even if it was in the middle of the kitchen.
We all had missed him, and loved having him back.
AND THEN....
the day after giving Owen, new Spot, as luck would have it - I found old Spot! tucked in the bottom of Owen's sleeping bag.
The excitement wasn't as measurable as when we gave him new Spot and I could tell, as he looked at old Spot in one hand and new Spot in the other, he preferred new Spot. A little reluctantly Owen let me put new Spot in a special place in case we ever lost old Spot again, and quickly the love for old Spot replaced the excitement of new Spot.
It surprised me when Owen attached to this dog as a baby, and it's surprised me how much he has mattered to our family. Spot definitely has his own place in all of our hearts.
1yr old
2yrd old
3yrs old
4yrs old


Spot's birthday party 2014
old Spot with new Spot
we are glad you are back little Spot dog





0 comments:
Post a Comment