Monday, March 3, 2014

Valentines Day


A few weeks back I told Devin about a 'brilliant' idea that I had.
He laughed. 
After some convincing he saw the method to my madness; but continues to laugh at what I refer to it as...

My idea: having Matters of the Heart discussions during our Valentines dinner.  
but before we get into that, 
here we are! A family of five, all dressed and ready for our family Valentines dinner!
{getting a 'selfie' of all of us is getting a little more tricky}

And guess what the boys wanted for our 'fancy' Valentine dinner....
Mac&Cheese 
Homemade 
Here they are helping me mix it up {and I'm proud to say no one was burned!}


After all the mixing, baking, and proper dressing Owen fell asleep.... dinner was postponed an hour. 

While we (finally) ate dinner I brought up our first Matters of the Heart discussion (one Devin and I had pondered over for our family). This year it was anger and how we need to help each other, including the children helping mom and dad, keep it out of our home. 
I do not believe we have serious anger problems in our home but there have been moments of impatience that have lead to frustration and acts of anger (mom and dad yelling, the boys hitting each other- nothing serious here people but nothing Devin and I want in our home). 
As a family we discussed how much we love each other and how we want everyone to feel loved and safe in our home. Then we came up with key phrases to say when we think someone is getting angry and a proper response (ie 'I think you are getting angry' 'I'm sorry I will try and be calm'). This is something we gave the boys full permission to say to us, as well as each other, and us to them. 
I've heard our key phrases a couple times in the past few days since, and I've realized how its made me think more upon my actions (I don't really want my three year old correcting me; but if it needs be then I'm glad he can). 
Here's hoping it sticks and we all improve our hearts a little!

I'm excited about this new tradition and see it as a way to discuss dating, kissing, and saving your heart for marriage-- that is where Devin thought I was crazy... We have a good 18yrs or so before our children marry but with persuasion I convinced him we open that line of communication now. So think I'm crazy all you want and laugh at my title! I am way to excited about our Matters if the Heart tradition I don't even care!

We hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day and felt loved!

0 comments:

Post a Comment