Saturday, June 29, 2013

a summer MUST read book

We read a lot of books at our house (granted at least ninety percent are children's books but), I recently finished a book I consider a MUST read. It is geared toward parents of, or soon to be, children in the public school system, but I think it has a lot of insight for everyone about being a Christian example, and being involved. 
HOWEVER, as a warning, please get the right book...
it's THIS ONE: Going Public: Your Child Can Thrive in Public School by David and Kelli Pritchard with Dean Merrill

I use the public library online reservation system A LOT! {it's an addiction} And conveniently the library is on the way home from Devin's work; so I reserve the books and he picks them up. When he brought home Going Public, I was so excited I opened it right then and there, only to be horrified to realize it was a romance novel. Not really what I was expecting.
In complete shock, I threw it at him and asked 'what did you bring home!?!' to which he kindly reminded me I was the one who reserved it.... dun dun dun! 

SO be warned, there is a romance novel out there entitled, Going Public. You must read the one with the subheading; not the romance novel. 

Now that we are all clear on which book.... 
I wish I could sum up what I learned from the book but more than anything it got the wheels turning.
One of the first things it points out is public school being a blessing; there are countries that are not as privileged to have a free public education system like we do. This brought things around for me because of all the commotion with Common Core Standards, my children getting closer to public school age, and the fear of the public school system (just watch Waiting for Superman). From there is goes on to show ways that, as the subheading states, children can thrive in public school.
I love the snippets on parenting, detailed lists of ways to be involved with your children' school (who doesn't love lists!), how to be a Christian example without overwhelming others, how to truly love those around you, and SO much more! 

I HIGHLY recommend this book, and what better time than NOW, in the summer before school starts up again. 

{if you prefer to own rather than borrow you can buy it directly from the authors for less than I found it on amazon http://www.pritchardministries.org/#/store}

0 comments:

Post a Comment