Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gg Hh Ii

With all good intentions I start out taking pictures and keeping organized... not so much right now! We are still working our way though the alphabet (completing Jj this week) but the picture thing is slipping away... my excuse, as I have been organizing ALL our pictures, I NEED a new camera. These boys move too fast to catch anything! Really I can't be asking too much because we (as a couple) have only spent money on one camera and it was $20... doesn't a mom have the right to a quick action camera? Any of you with favorite out there LET ME KNOW! :-)

Gg
Grow
Among line tracers, flower growing puzzles and games, we made a grass head! Isn't he cute?
Simple: dirt, handful of grass seeds, clear cup, googly eyes, construction paper, water, glue + about a week = a cute little growing grass head!
Levi LOVES giving it a hair cut which is a bonus: extra scissor time!

Germs
I while Levi was blow painting germs onto a g, I pretended to cough into my hands (where I had placed a small amount of green glitter), held up my hands to show him, and then touched his hands... HE FREAKED! so we went over this cute hand washing poem while we washed the 'germs' away!
Our favorite books about germs... so far just one: Wash Your Hands by Tony Ross

For Hh I was going to do house and hands but did an extra day of house instead:
House books we liked:
A House is a House for me by Mary Ann Hoberman
That House that Jack Built a mother goose nursery rhyme illustrated by Janet Stevens
A house for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle
Is this a house for hermit crab? by Megan McDonald
Where does pig live?

We matched dogs to their colored houses according to their colored dog collars, did a simple 'Help Henry find his House' maze, the three little pigs- definitely could not have skipped that one!, and made an H house. The second day consisted of scripture reading Matthew 7:24-27
and gathering some sand, a rock, two milk cartons, and water to demonstrate... 

sadly it wasn't as AWESOME as I anticipated. I was totally expecting the sand house to crumble, turn to dust, utter destruction kind of stuff but it really did just wash away, which I guess is only logical.

Ii
Ice! We had way too much fun with ice
Ice cube making and melting- it takes less time than I thought to 'create' an ice cube but more time than Levi was willing to wait, it was about 3/4done when he was!
We played an ice kicking game: ice cubes, chalk drawn circles with names inside, and a race to see who could kick the most ice into their circle (I made it up... can you tell!?)
Ice crushing: seriously need a moment to yourself? grab ice cubes and a hammer, you'll have at least half an hour if your children are like mine!
And ice painting:
(toothpicks were not the best for this! but I just froze water and food coloring in an ice cube tray)


oh, and totally unplanned ice cube taste testing!
(and yes he is wearing rubber gloves, food coloring stains those little hands like none other!)

Insects
We  read insect books (one about dragonflies that discussed and showed a animated picture of mating... this whole passing 'those' lessons off to Devin, not only because he's the health oriented, human anatomy one in our family but also because we have BOYS, is not working out so well... I better crack open that anatomy book I avoided in college).
We also glued a lowercase i. 
Originally I was going to make a green grasshopper and a lady bug dot but my line tracer grasshopper got made fun of so I told Levi the ladybug climbed up a blade of grass and jumped! He thought that was cool!

and Levi did line tracers 
in my attempts at creativity I made insects with the way they would travel, to the food they would eat (does that make sense?? ie an ant would just walk to an apple, bee fly in loops to a flower, and grasshopper jumps to grass (?)). And yes that is the above mentioned laughed at grasshopper. 

Now to just keep up, at least a little, on the pictures of the rest! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment