First of all just because the calendar says 'Christopher Columbus Day' it may not actually be THE Christopher Columbus Day (ie the day he arrived in America). THE Christopher Columbus day is October 12th which I should have remembered from my history lessons but alas we celebrates the calendar Christopher Columbus Day.
I am not certain as to why I have decided to throw Christopher Columbus Day into our celebration traditions other than I think it is way AWESOME that Nephi (1Nephi 13:12) mentions him, and really any excuse to bring the scriptures into my children's life is a BONUS.
We checked out books from the library, and even though I learned something new (ie not everyone thought the world was flat at that time), I didn't find a favorite. I think next year I will turn this article into a book format with pictures... somehow...
now for the FUN part!
We made hats, and boats

{stop and add tape at step (supposed to be) 3 (but looks like a second 2)}
and attempted blowing our boats from our 'Spain' rug to our 'America' rug. However it did not work as well as I thought so we ended up pushing... alright throwing them.
Then we jumped in our boats, assigning them a captain and name. Levi sailed the Santa Maria, Owen the Nina, and Spiderman, our helpful sailor as we needed three and I had to take pictures, the Pinta.
the boys had fun wearing their hats, carrying their swords, looking at their maps, and through their telescope, and if nothing else they know that Levi, Owen, and Spiderman sailed to America on ... the wrong day in October! agh! :-)
HAPPY (THE) CHRISTOPER COLUMBUS DAY!!!
.jpg)
.jpg)

0 comments:
Post a Comment