Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ee Eggs and Earth

After reading a book and discussing it's main idea with my sister-in-law I decided to have Levi water color each of the letter 'title pages' (more on his ABC binder later). With the bright summer sun up we went outside (Owen still in his 'jamas') and painted Ee

The first day we learned about Eggs
we read Flap Your Wings by P D Eastman (a favorite!) and I drew up the various animals with matching eggs for a size match
NOTE: I thought this was GREAT until I realized that frogs don't hatch out of eggs directly... we skipped the tadpole bit on this one, oops!

Then using a wonderful kit from the library* we read various egg books, among them our favorites: 
Green Eggs and Ham, and Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
A Nest Full of Eggs by Priscilla Belz Jenkins
Chickens Aren't the Only Ones by Ruth Heller
Look Who's Hatching by World Wildlife Fund
 Also found within the kit were egg and animal tracers (and since they were animals that directly came from eggs we did animal-egg size matching again). The kit also contained chick and egg tracers so I traced and cut out five of each and numbered the eggs and chicks for Levi to match. To further work on numbers I drew five nests with numbers inside, and had Levi draw the correct number of eggs in each. Then we used paper plates and craft stick to make a chick pop in and out of it's egg- both Levi and Owen thought this was HILARIOUS! And last, his least favorite, cracked egg line tracers and top-to-bottom matching, we're still working on those fine motor skills.

After all that work we went outside and played with some cascarones! The boys thought they were way fun!

a few days later after all that littering...
Earth
Again using a library kit (Devin picked up eight one day, he was not too happy!) titled Recycle and Garbage, and a book entitled The Earth Book we learned about the Earth and how we can keep it clean!
(Levi was cute; I had decided to just take one picture to sum everything up with but when he saw me setting it up he asked to be in it! Sometimes he refuses to be in pictures and others insists!)
Some of our favorite books on this subject:
The Earth Book by Todd Parr
Trashy Town By Andrea Zimmerman, David Clemesha, and Dan Yaccarino (definitely a favorite!)
A Box Can Be Many Things by Dana Meachen Rau and Paige Billin-Frye
The Great Trash Bash by Loreen Leedy
Compost by Linda Glaser

After reading I gave Levi a bag of recyclables that I had written numbers on. First he organized them by shape (circle, square, rectangle), then by number (1,2,3), and last by material (cardboard, plastic, metal, glass). And we made an E earth by gluing tissue paper to a paper plate while discussing ways to keep the green grass green and the blue water blue. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment