Sunday, December 12, 2010

Puppets and Yarn (a car ride)

As previously noted we drove home for Thanksgiving. In preparing for the trip I tried to answer the question 'what to do with a two year old strapped in a seat for 11+ hours?' by creating a multitude of activities.

Unread library books, old favorite books, toys, crayons, paper, string, beads, games, snacks, and candy filled the gaps between Levi and me. In the end it was the homemade finger puppets and a piece of yarn that got us through the drive.

The night before we left I free handed these basic drawings with Crayola markers (my favorite!), 'lamented' them with packaging tape, and used small strips of more tape to make a loop on the back for fingers... and toes!

I wish I had a picture of this one, but it just kind of worked out in the car!
Somewhere I read that letting a child about Levi's age play with a string and beads is good for their development. So I threw a piece of yarn and beads into his car bag. While in the car I strung it from one sissy handle thing (the things above the doors to hold on to if you're a sissy- according to Devin), to the other. It was droopy enough that Levi could not only reach anything (beads or toys) I hung on it but also that he could get his foot on it and for some reason he thought this was great! Sadly because it was yarn it broke a couple of times before it was too short- but it was well worth the hours of entertainment it provided! and next time we will use a stronger string... or just bring a ball of yarn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment