Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Amelia Bedelia's Silly Christmas

Devin offered to spend the day with Levi {from when he woke up from his late nap at 4pm until I got home at 6pm} while I went to work. Since the boys get little time together I pushed away thoughts of Levi's brain turning to mush as he watched movies all afternoon while Devin studied, and let Devin lovingly spend time with him.

This resulted in being able to talk with my boss about my last two weeks... yep that's right TWO WEEKS!!!!! technically 9 days- but who's counting!?!.. without worrying what makeup set Levi might be getting into. I HAVE A WONDERFUL HUSBAND!

This also allowed for more focused time with the older girls who blaze through every craft I have thrown at them recently. As they sat on the couch accomplishing their assigned reading time for the day they giggled back and forth about the beloved Amelia Bedelia (I was once her for Halloween in Elementary school- and she's still popular! although this Fancy Nancy is starting to weasel her way in. That's okay she's cute! Oh and if your little girl loves Fancy Nancy you should check out this great Christmas idea). As they giggled away I thought of what made up an Amelia Bedelia book and decided we should see what writing our own would lead to...

We made an Amelia Bedelia Christmas To Do List:
{edited version, as we couldn't twist everything on our original list}
Put up the Christmas tree
String popcorn for the tree
Put a star on the tree
Sing Christmas Carols
Pour a glass of milk
Sit by the fire
Watch Christmas movies/shows

Then we paired the 'To Do's' with traditional Amelia Bedelia behavior. She:
{I was surprised how well the girls could come up with these! Some needed a little help, but for the most part these were completely their own thinking}
Hung the Christmas tree from the ceiling
Tried to feed popcorn seeds on a string to the tree
Put a picture of Taylor Swift on the tree
Sang songs about Carol's Christmas
Poured a glass of milk and then poured it back
Sat outside by the fire
Laid Christmas movies/shows on the floor, and sat to watch them

After we made our 'To Do' and 'Done' list we picked a title: Amelia Bedelia's Silly Christmas! Made a cover, and set to work on the pages.


It was a creation that brought lots of giggles!

1 comment: