Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Name Craft

Due to lack of supplies I really had to stretch my creative brain for this one; luckily a small list of craft supplies {cotton balls, pipe cleaners, pack of multi-colored paper, white paper, string/yarn, glue sticks...} will find it's way wandering down the aisles of Walmart.

Supplies:
White paper (we used thinker, card stock like paper)
Word program
Printer
Scissors
Coloring utensils (crayons, markers, colored pencils)
any other decorative items (stickers, stamps...)
Black permanent marker
Glue (opt.)
String (opt.)
Tape

Directions:
1. Pull up word document and turn paper to 'landscape' (under 'file' 'page setup' 'paper size' for Microsoft Word)

2. Type out child's name in document

3. Under 'format' click on 'font' under the tab 'font' you will find a section entitled 'effects' mark the box that says 'outline' (second row third down)

4. While still in 'font' change the 'font' 'font style' and 'font size' to your liking (I think we did something similar to 'comic sans sm' for font, nothing for the style, and almost 200 for the size- whatever was big but still small enough to fit on one line, however if you do option #2 (see below) it wont matter if it's all on the same line).

5. Print out page and cut an equal border around the name

6. Let the child decorate however they choose then trace printed lines with black permanent marker so they stand out against the coloring

7. There are endless options you can do after this step... with the girls as mentioned previously I was limited on supplies so I stuck tape on the back and let them stick to bedroom door, wall, or any place they chose (that I agreed with of course!)
With Levi's I took it home, cut out each individual letter and two extra squares that he had scribbled on (that I traced stars onto), then glued it to brown cardstock then blue- just for some ideas!
Here's how they look!



0 comments:

Post a Comment